British Blackjack, otherwise known as 7 Card Blackjack, is a compelling variation of the globally renowned card game.
Despite sharing a name with the classic casino game, it's an entirely different beast. Instead of aiming for a hand closer to 21 than the dealer, the goal is to try and eliminate all your cards.
Intrigued to learn more? Read on as we delve into the rules and gameplay, offering a comprehensive guide on how to play British Blackjack.
What Is 7 Card Blackjack?
7 Card British Blackjack is a unique card game variant that's commonly played using a single deck of cards. However, the number of decks can be increased depending on the number of participants in the game.
Each player receives seven cards, while the remainder of the deck is placed face down, acting as the discard pile.
The objective of the game is quite straightforward - get rid of your cards. This can be achieved by matching the rank or suit of the previous card played. The game is relatively fast-paced and requires strategic thinking, adding a fresh twist to the classic game of Blackjack.
Playing British Blackjack Card Game
The gameplay for 7 Card British Blackjack differs significantly from traditional Blackjack. The dealer distributes 7 cards to each player, including themselves, and the rest of the cards in the deck are placed face down in a stack. The top card from the deck is revealed, and the game begins.
The player on the dealer's left side starts the game, and the gameplay moves in a clockwise direction. The goal for each player is to match the rank or suit of the last played card on the discard pile. If a player can't match the rank or suit, they draw a card from the deck. The gameplay continues in this manner until a player has no cards left in hand, thereby winning the round.
But things aren't as straightforward as they seem. Certain cards in the game, known as 'power cards', have special rules associated with them, which are detailed in the next section.
7 Card Blackjack Rules
Understanding the rules of 7 Card British Blackjack is crucial to the game. While the basic gameplay is simple enough, the presence of power cards introduces a layer of complexity.
The power cards and their associated rules are as follows:
- 2: If a player plays a 2, the next player must either pick up 2 cards from the deck or play another 2. If the following player also plays a 2, the next player must pick up 4 cards, unless they play another 2. This chain can continue until a player is unable to play a 2, at which point they must pick up the accumulated number of cards from the deck.
- J (Black): Playing a black J forces the following player to pick up 5 cards from the deck. However, if they have a black J, they can play it and pass the penalty onto the next player, who then has to pick up 10 cards.
- J (Red): A red J can be used to cancel the effect of a black J. So, if a player plays a black J, the next player can avoid drawing cards by playing a red J.
- 10: When a 10 is played, the direction of the game reverses. So, if the game was previously moving clockwise, it will now move counter-clockwise and vice versa.
- 8: An 8 card forces the next player to skip their turn.
- Ace: An Ace can be played at any time, irrespective of the suit or rank of the previously played card. The player who played the Ace can then decide on the suit for the next round.
Remember, the rules can vary slightly depending on the table or casino, so it may be a good idea to check the specific rules before you start playing.
Where To Play British Blackjack Online
Despite its popularity, British Blackjack isn't readily available at all online casinos.
However, there are numerous online platforms that offer a wide range of other blackjack games and variants. Platforms such as Clover Casino offer various blackjack games, such as Blackjack Madrid, Blackjack 6 Azure Live and Atlantic City Blackjack.
To start playing, simply sign up to Clover Casino, following the instructions provided. Once your account is set up, you can start enjoying a range of casino games, including Blackjack, roulette, slots, and more.
Please gamble responsibly.
*All values (Bet Levels, Maximum Wins etc.) mentioned in relation to these games are subject to change at any time. Game features mentioned may not be available in some jurisdictions.